Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: cutting an A7 in half?

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have A7 bottoms with 515G and they just don't thump the way I thought they would. there is good very low bass tones but the kick bass does not move my chest hairs. Some time in the future I want to do the JBL 2245 Sub in the bottom of the cab but I don't have the money at this point in time. However, If I put the divider in the cab to close off the bottom will that improve my kickbass range? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm, how much power is available? Also, how much are your HF horns attenuated?

    Anyway, sealing off the rear chamber theoretically won't help enough. Try them with both baffle boards removed. This should tune it up around 80Hz. You will have to use EQ to roll off the signal below this point to keep from overdriving them.

    GM

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi GM, I am driving them with the amp side of an advent modle 300(15wpc) and driving the HF with 6SN7/26/300B (10wpc) I have the HF rolled way back on the Rane about half way. Did you mean the front boards so there would be just an open hole there. P.S., next week I am putting in a Crown D75 for the wooffs.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Correct. Without measurement it's hard to say, but the efficiency difference is so great between the LF/HF that the HF probably needs to be dialed back even more, then boost the extreme HF as required to balance it all out.

    GM

  5. #5
    Inactive Member armandh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    102
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I used a 65 ohm 20 watt resistor bridged with a hand full of .1 mfd to taste on the highs.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Yikes! I knew it would be a lot, but not this much.

    GM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.